Thursday, January 28, 2010

They say the neon lights are bright...


Just so you know, I had the most fantastic,
Broadway-lovin'-freak, crazy-awesome time tonight.

First let me say that my friend from work now thinks I'm the luckiest person in the world. (So someone agrees with you, Chris.) Not only did I win us Rock of Ages lottery tickets but we had another stroke of Broadway fortune at Billy Elliot tonight. The role of Billy is shared by three young performers (because of child labor laws and all that jazz) and the three boys who originated the role won a shared Tony this year. Only one of those three boys is still with the show and he's the one who performed tonight. He was spectacular. And so adorable I wanted to hop on stage and pinch his little cheeks.

But! Here's the best part: Carole Shelley is also in the musical. If you are a Wicked freak, I will only say: Madame Morrible. Madame. Morrible. If you aren't a Wicked freak, I'm not sure what can be done for you. Anyway, there's a part in the show where a dude dressed as Margaret Thatcher is shooting nerf balls out of a tank (it has nothing to do with drag and everything to do with a coal mine strike) and people in the audience were catching the balls. Well, I'm always keen to grab an extra souvenir so I was sad not to catch one of the balls. What happened next was unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe. Carole Shelley herself walked over to the edge of the stage, winked at me, and said, "Would you like this?" and handed me a nerf ball. I took it from her hand and gushed, "I love you!" because that is how dorktastic I am.



Also, I touched a piece of the Titanic today. Touched it with my own hands. It spent 73 years under water and now it's on 44th street. So very cool.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Want a night for you. So now that you seen both shows, who deserved the Tony? Can we go to NYC in the Spring so I can see them? I need your help with the lotteries!

Linda said...

Sounds fabulous! Almost like the time you won a jacket on Rosie. Lucky indeed :)
Anything more you do on this trip will pale in comparison.
I knew who Carole Shelley wss without the reference, that's just how Wickfantic I am. I didn't even scroll down to the picture of her. I just appreciate her acting. Hey, do you think she recognized you from one of the 30 times you saw Wicked?

Melissa (sister) said...

Oh, Carole Shelley! She alone kept my experience with the Wicked tour from being too unbearable to handle.
Did you have good seats there too to be so close to the edge of the stage? I didn't think it had a lottery, only student-rush.

Kristen said...

Wow, am I jealous! The next time I see you I expect a full summary of just how awesome it was.

I thought only Kiril Kulish had left and the other two were still there, but maybe I'm wrong. Who did you see perform?

Ali said...

Chris, I don't think I can choose between the two. They're both so different. I don't begrudge Billy the Tony, I will say that.

Linda, I suppose it's possible that Ms. Shelley remembered a dorky girl sitting repeatedly in the front row and singing along to every word of every song, except when she couldn't form words during "For Good" because she was too busy blubbering. Possible, but unlikely.

Melis, we were in the front row and no, they weren't lottery seats. We paid full price. I rarely do that, but I really wanted to see the show.

Kris, David has left, too. We saw Trent. But he's leaving in February. I suppose they're all getting too tall.