Friday, January 29, 2010

Apparently my dorkiness makes me memorable.

Tonight, my friend decided she had had enough of the subway and the cold weather (I know, I know), so I struck out on my own for the evening. I decided to follow up my Billy Elliot experience (the Tony winner for Best Musical) with the Tony winner for Best Play: God of Carnage. It’s about two sets of parents that meet for an afternoon to discuss a fight their children had. As the title suggests, the polite meeting descends into chaos. Also hilarity. It stars Jimmy Smits, Christine Lahti, Annie Potts, and Ken Stott. Funny and wonderful and everything good. Also, Annie Potts' character literally barfs onstage, so that alone is worth the price of admission.

But! The best part of the evening happened prior to the play. I decided to have dinner at Junior’s since it was near the theater. While I ate, I noticed a man a couple tables over looking at me. I thought he looked a little familiar, but I didn’t think anything of it. When I started to leave the restaurant, the guy and his companion also stood up to go. As I walked past he said, “Excuse me, were you in the front row of Billy last night?” I was stunned, but I squeaked out, “I was.” He said, “I thought so. I’m in the show. This is my brother. I saw your smile and I remembered you.”

I could not believe it! I mean, the night before I had sat there with a look of utter delight for the entire show, but still. I told him that I had had a wonderful time and that he and the company had done a fantastic job and then I left, elated.

Pretty much only good stuff happens to me when I'm here. The entire city is my Tiffany's.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I can admit when I'm wrong. Apparently tonight is not going to pale with the events of the past week. I also think you have a great smile. Plus it is nice to know the actors can really see the folks in the front row.

Unknown said...

That is a great story? We always thought that the Rent actors recognized you too!

Melissa (sister) said...

Brian alerted me about the content of this post. Eye rolls ensued.
He was in no way surprised about this or your experience with Carole Shelley.

Linda said...

ps Apparently my comment about Carole Shelley recognizing you was not as ludicrous as it sounded!

Ali said...

Chris, I think I may make myself conspicuous to the actors because I get so into the show and I'm often sitting in the front row. When I went to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for the fifth or so time, there's a scene on the train in the beginning where John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz are supposed to be pretending to make small talk in the background while another character is speaking in the foreground. I swear John Lithgow looked right at me, leaned over and whispered something to Norbert, and then Norbert looked at me and smiled. I suspect John said something like, "That girl's back again. Which one of us do you think she's stalking?"

For the record, the answer to that question would be Norbert.