Saturday, January 15, 2011

Holy cow, I made a roast!

And I intended the heck out of that pun.

So, I'm trying to conquer my fear of cooking with raw meat. I suppose the time has come. I'm doing this by committing to cooking some form of meat each month this year. My mom thinks I should do this once a week. Clearly she does not understand the depth of my psychosis.

January's project was roast beef. I'm not going it lie; it was quite a saga for me, beginning with choosing a hunk of meat out of a terrifying case filled with hundreds of hunks of meat, proceeding to breaking this hideous thing out of the plastic and maneuvering it into the roaster, and finally browning each side which involved flipping the hunk over. The horror.

Once it was in the oven, though, I was struck by the awesomeness of how little effort is involved in preparing something so tasty. All the anguish was mental, not physical. And it all turned out like this, which is a good thing:


And what a lovely lunch for a lazy Saturday. There just might be something to this cooking thing.


I'd like to work my way up to something sorta complicated, like boeuf bourguignon. We'll see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I think if you hang around my family more you'll get used to the raw meat thing! Maybe a trip over the mountain when we're wrapping a side of beef or pork is in order. OIt's really not that bad. And the quality of the meat is much nicer than what you'll see in any store, which makes it tempting to touch those beautiful 1"+ thick steaks! :)

Although as much as I've dealt with, I have to admit that I still don't care for touching hamburger.

Ali said...

Thanks for the invite Megs, but that sounds a tiny bit completely horrifying.

Liz said...

I'm so proud of you!

also, it looked delicious.

Linda said...

I absolutely adore the blue serving plate.

Ali said...

Thanks, Liz.

Thanks, Linda. I got that at a little shop ages ago. I don't get to use it all that often, but maybe that will change.

Kristen said...

I'm impressed -- whipping up some mashed potatoes would never make it into my definition of a lazy Saturday. Unless those are potatoes from a box. In which case you and I are no longer on speaking terms.

Ali said...

They are real potatoes. No need to shun me just yet.

Kristen said...

Unshun. Well, that's a relief. :)