Friday, January 28, 2011

Oscar mania!

I'm sitting in the Fuddrucker's across from my movie theater. Two down, two to go. My thoughts, without spoilers, of course:

The King's Speech

A triumph, just wonderful. I won't be surprised or disappointed if it takes Best Picture and Best Actor. Also, it's fun to play Spot the Pride and Prejudice Actors. I haven't seen The Fighter yet, but I've seen the other four Supporting Actor performances and I'd be very happy for Geoffrey Rush if he won (although I'm secretly rooting for John Hawkes). This film was a delight from start to finish, and it made me guffaw in the theater quite a few times. Also, it allowed to me cross off my first Oscar category: Best Art Direction.

Blue Valentine

Great performances, but a serious downer. I can understand the furor over Michelle Williams getting a nom and Ryan Gosling not. Their performances are so intertwined, it's like one performance. But the Best Actor category is always super competitive so he got left out. To answer Liz's question, yes it was rather Black Swanish in that I was looking away a lot, but it wasn't quite as explicit. In the end, I'd rather go back and watch The King's Speech again.

I just crossed 13 items off my Oscar list and now I'm off to see The Fighter!

Update!:

Just saw The Fighter. So, Best Supporting Actor. Christian Bale has that all wrapped up. Fantasic film.

I'm entering the home stretch and my backside is partly numb. Here comes 127 Hours. I'm hoping I don't pass out or puke when the arm chopping part comes. Wish me luck.

Update again!:

127 Hours was tough to watch, but a really good movie. James Franco's performance carries the entire film and he's spectacular (although I still think Colin Firth should win Best Actor.) I could say a lot more really good stuff about his performance, but I don't want to give anything away.

Also, I stayed for the Indian movie, because I'm nuts like that. And now I'm hungry for curry at 1 AM. I love Oscar-readiness!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Not just P&P actors, but HP too! :)

Ali said...

True, but I suppose you can play that game with any film featuring British actors. Every time I see a HP movie I think, "Who's watching the island!" ;o)