Monday, December 10, 2012

Marathons and cheat sheets


Well, This past weekend I attended a 14-hour Lord of the Rings movie marathon. They showed all three films in the extended editions and it was marvelous. A couple of things I had forgotten:



How completely awesome Legolas is. I mean, come on. The markmanship. Surfing down the staircase at Helm's Deep. Mounting the moving horse during the warg attack. No wonder he's Julia's favorite character. Even if she thinks he's a girl.



How heartbreaking Boromir's death is, with Merry and Pippin seeing him take arrow after arrow to save them. And then this: "I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king." I was a mess and I don't mind telling you that.



What magnificent piece of casting Viggo Mortensen was. I cannot imagine anyone else in that role. When he fights off the Nazgul at Amon Sul, it is breathtaking. He fully embodies the heroic ranger, the self-doubting man, and finally, the king. It's a terrible shame he didn't get an Oscar nomination. That speech at the Black Gate would have been the perfect Oscar reel.

"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day!" What a great moment.

Finally, is everyone ready for The Hobbit? If, like me, you're concerned about confusing Bifur for Dwalin, here's a handy cheat sheet. (Click to enlarge.)




2 comments:

Kristen said...

That cheat sheet is totally coming to the theater with me.

Ali said...

My fave is "Does he look like Gimli? --> Gloin."