Friday, August 17, 2007

I’ll bet they used animals to test Prozac

Okay, so I’m hooked on the show Rock of Love. It’s so embarrassing that I have to just come right out and say it quickly, like ripping off a Band-Aid. I blame Amanda. It all goes back to the time she was visiting from Texas and we stayed up till 2 AM eating pancakes and watching a Flavor of Love marathon in which Flava Flav somehow (and I still don’t know how) restrained himself from taking that giant clock necklace and smacking New York across her smug face. Needless to say, I was rooting for Deelishis. Now that show was hilarious, particularly when New York’s certifiably crazy mother tried to lure her daughter from the Flav house by pretending to have a terminal illness. Sadly, the ruse failed about 17 seconds in because Mama York didn’t think far enough ahead to come up with a name for her fake disease. I mean, syphilis would have been the obvious choice as it would also account for the insanity.

Anyway, all this is to say that the show was great fun in a “I really shouldn’t admit I watched this to anyone” way and Amanda got me hooked. So, when I saw that VH1 was doing a similar show called Rock of Love in which former Poison front man Bret Michaels looks for love among a group of women too young to remember when Every Rose Has Its Thorn hit the airwaves, I had to check it out. Oh man, jackpot! This show is hysterically funny in a horrifying way. The women are almost all incredibly stupid and/or continually drunk. The exception to this rule is Jess, who is smart and funny and has awesome pink hair that I covet and wish I could pull off. I am rooting for her, but I also really like Brandi M, because even though she spends much of the show in a drunken stupor, she is so funny. She has a biting, caustic wit that would serve her well as a writer for The Daily Show. Jon Stewart should really look into that.

Lacey is clearly the “New York” of the show: totally insane and convinced that she is awesome when, in reality, she is just an awful, awful person. I’m certain the producers are instructing Michaels to keep her on till the end for ratings purposes. I look forward to the season finale where Lacey gets the boot as she so richly deserves and hopefully runs off to refill her Prozac prescription. Also, she’s one of those really obnoxious PETA people who get all in your face about eating meat, like, shut up crazy girl, I like steak!

The show is about half over by now, but I recommend trying to catch a marathon of it sometime in the future. If you’re so lucky as to do that, definitely make yourself some pancakes.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I just want to say that in no way did I force you to watch this show. I had never watched the show before that night, either! And I can't believe you are telling the entire world that we watched a marathon of it that lasted until 2am! :o) I can't wait to watch Rock of Love... what time is it on? hehe

Ali said...

I know! I should not be admitting this, but I'm just confessing everything today. It's so much better than Flavor of Love, mostly because Bret Michaels is really quite likeable. He's a Steeler fan, so there's that right there, but he's also really honest. He'll be all, "This girl is dumb as a box of rocks, but I'm keeping her around because she's hot." I dig that kind of openness.

I'm not sure exactly when it's on, but they repeat it all through the week. If you turn on VH1 in the evenings around 10 or 11, you'll usually catch it.

Anonymous said...

"This girl is dumb as a box of rocks, but I'm keeping her around because she's hot." - Yes, most guys would love to be that honest. But then that would leave them banished by the realm of women. -

Ali said...

...not if they were super rich and slightly famous. And on TV. Come on, how do you think Donald Trump snagged a bride?