Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mad Men

I am so happy I found this show. It’s really well written and acted, but mostly it is such a delight to look at. Everything and everyone looks so pretty. The furniture has that sleek, “modern for the 50s” look. All the women are decked out in pencil skirts or crinoline and cinched waists. All the men are in smart suits and crisp white shirts. It makes me wish Brylcreem was back in style.

The guy playing Don Draper looks so great with his slicked hair and his five o’clock shadow, he’s like Cary Grant. I don’t want to see him out of costume, I don’t want to watch any interviews with him, I don’t want to think about him being from our time.

Tonight’s episode opened with Don and his wife returning from an awards dinner and he was in a tux with the bowtie undone like a Rat Pack member and she was in a fabulous sequined gown with long satin gloves and a fur stole. It was like a Hitchcock movie. One with Grace Kelly. The show is on AMC on Thursday nights at 10, and you should really check it out, if only to see some gorgeous clothes and décor.

No comments: