Tuesday, January 22, 2008

And it begins!

Like the long awaited return of the Coen Brothers, the Oscar nominations are finally here! And happily, the noms won't give me nearly as many nightmares as Javier Bardem.

Some surprises:

Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, Sean Penn. No Oscar for you! I haven't seen Atonement yet, so I can't comment on the first two, but at least we're safe from an insufferable political speech from Mr. Penn, and any kind of incestuous make out sessions from Ms. Jolie. For now.

Apparently Ratatouille does not suck nearly as much as my sister would have me believe. It got a screenplay nomination, people. It's now at the top of my Netflix queue.

Michael Clayton for Best Picture? Really, Academy? That's what you're going with? Really? Apparently the gene that I'm missing that would allow me to enjoy Marion Cotillard's performance in La Vie En Rose is the same gene that would allow me to see why Michael Clayton deserves to be in company with films like No Country For Old Men. I saw both of those films and I just can't see why that should be. I can't see it, I don't want to see it, and I will not see it. It is much like Norbit in that way.

Okay, let the search for a theater playing There Will Be Blood begin!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for recaping the Oscar Nominations for me! At least I got to see one nominated film this year.

Anonymous said...

There's a theater 10 minutes form me that's playing it. You can come visit, play a little Settlers of Catan, go see a movie....i don't see how you're passing this up :)

Ali said...

Oh Liz, that sounds so wonderful! You have gotten me so hooked on that game, sometimes I daydream about it. Building roads, collecting ore cards, trading my settlements for cities... I'm obsessed!