Sunday, January 13, 2008

La Vie En Hades

I attempted to watch La Vie En Rose, the French biopic on the tragic life of singer Edith Piaf. Marion Cotillard got a Golden Globe nomination, which is not as enormous a feat as you might think, since they split the movie and best actor/actress awards into two categories (comedy and drama), giving out ten noms instead of the customary five. However, she also got a SAG nomination, and they only give out five noms, so I thought this performance had to be worth checking out in case she gets an Oscar nod.

Well, I don’t know what to tell you. I simply could not stand the film. (When pressed, I say it is elegant.) And the overwhelming reason I couldn’t stand it was Ms. Cotillard’s performance. Perhaps I don’t know enough about Edith Piaf or the type of performance the director was going for, but it just seemed overly affected and clownish and completely unbearable, which is why I shut the film off 45 minutes into it. I felt I had done my time, and I wasn’t prepared to go the full 2 hours and 20 minutes. Maybe the performance picks up in the second hour, but I prefer acting performances, especially ones that receive awards, to be good the whole way through.

No comments: