Friday, January 11, 2008

Somebody get Josh Brolin a soda.

Getting Oscar ready continues with American Gangster!

Before I talk about American Gangster, I just have to say that I think Josh Brolin was the hardest working man in Hollywood this past year. No Country For Old Men, American Gangster, The Valley of Elah. He’s popping up in everything, and he’s good in all of it. This makes me happy, as I like to see former Goonies do well. Sean Astin rocked the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and now Josh Brolin is turning in Oscar-worthy performances. Between the two of them, they just might cancel out Corey Feldman.

Now, about American Gangster. I rushed like a crazy person out of work, trying to make it up the hill to the theater by the 5:15 start time. You can’t miss the beginning of a movie. It ruins the whole thing. I entered the theater as the previews were playing. I shoved my entry pass at the poor woman working the register, squawked a dinner order at the concession clerk, and hopped inside the back of the theater, just in time to see the opening credits. The clerk had to take my concession money at the popcorn refill window in the back of the theater. I love that window. I love Andy Lasky’s theater. It is my favorite thing about living in Westmont.

Seeing this movie allowed me to cross off three slots on my Golden Globe nominees list, which may not seem like a lot, but the Globes like to spread out their noms, so it’s actually pretty good. However, I can’t help feeling that Ruby Dee got a nomination simply because she’s Ruby Dee, and somewhat of a legend. She was very good in the film, but so were a lot of people. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe were great, but this film has a wonderful ensemble cast and Washington and Crowe hardly eclipse them. I was delighted to see Chiwetel Ejiofor, who is really good in everything and needs to be in more stuff; the aforementioned Josh Brolin; Ted Levine, who I like despite his appearance in The Silence of the Lambs (aieee!); John Hawkes, because I always like to see Deadwood alums; Yul Vasquez, because “you was obviously talking to one of us!”; and a bunch of other really awesome people like Joe Morton, Carla Gugino, Jon Polito, and Ritchie Coster. A veritable cornucopia of excellent supporting players. And for me, that’s always the best part of the film.

This was a great film, and in another year it might have been a serious contender for Best Picture, but 2007 was a superb year for films, and I don't think American Gangster will be walking away with the big award. It's still definitely worth your 7 bucks and 2 and a half hours, though.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Ok. You list your actors and their previous accomplishments and you fail to mention that Chiwetel Ejiofor was in Kinky Boots? You are slipping, girl.

Ali said...

I thought I covered that when I said he's really good in everything, but I'll endeavor to be more clear. Chiwetel Ejiofor kicks seventeen different kinds of butt in Kinky Boots, and all while wearing red sparkly platform heels. He even delivers my favorite performance of Whatever Lola Wants. I defy Rosemary Clooney to top it. (Well, if she was alive.)