Monday, January 28, 2008

Merry Me!

Okay, so it’s season 2 of Rock of Love, and I had been really excited for this because I loved the first season. The thing about the first season was that the show was so much fun, I wasn’t embarrassed to admit I watched it, despite the utterly ridiculous nature of the spectacle. The long-awaited season 2 had a promising start. As Amanda described it after the first episode:

“It's pure trash and I'm loving it. The women this season are even more ridiculous than last season… And the hair. There are at least 2 women that look like trannies!”

Trashy! Big hair! Trannies! So much fun, right? But now season 2 is just making me sad. I’m sad that the women are so stupid. I’m sad that Bret is so stupid. He either got more moronic in the last year, or his imbecility somehow escaped me during the first season. And the thing is, you really need to be able to root for him in order to enjoy the show. But this year it’s just like watching a bunch of pinballs of stupidity bouncing off of each other. And the stupidity makes me sad.

Sadness is watching three girls holding up the card they made for Bret, reading “Merry me!,” and then hearing them remark to each other, “We’re such a wonderful trio. Of brains.”

Oh dear.

I’m not going to stop watching the show yet, but I am back to being embarrassed about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so against my better judgment I decided to tune in to "Rock of Love 2" to see just what thrilled you and Amanda. And I have to say I can see the entertainment value, a sort of guilty pleasure, but I am also let down by Brett's actions. Case in point: 3 girls win VIP passes and can take Brett away at any time and 2 of the particualrly bithcy ones decide to use their passes to interrupt a solo date that another girl won fair and square. Brett did not seem pleased by their antics, and I thought to myself, yes! he's gonna send those two selfish broads home. He'll send a message and I'll applaud his integrity and sing "Nothin But a Good Time" from the rooftops. But what does he do? He not only gives them their backstages first, before any other girl, but he also sends home the 3rd girl who was polite enough to not interrupt. BOO! HISS!

Despite this annoyance, I've continued to watch and was rewarded last night by witnessing a brilliant blonde who proclaimed she didn't want to dress up as a 50s pin-up girl. "I don't want to dress from the 50s. I'm in my 20s!" I'm losing brain cells by the second. But Brett, all will be forgiven if you send this fool home next. Otherwise, I'm taking down Brett, Allison and Amanda for pulling me in to this travesty.

Oh, and I'm pulling for a Peyton/Amber finale, even though I know Mr. Michaels is gonna keep that tramp Daisy till the bitter end.

Ali said...

Yes, yes, it is a travesty, isn't it? This season is just making me sad. It's making me miss Jes and Brandi M. For pity's sake, it's making me miss HEATHER! But not Lacey. Never Lacey. The problem is that these girls, ALL the girls, are just stupid bimbos. There's no hilarious commentary by a girl who's just taking it all in and muttering "What a bunch of stupid tramps." No one is in on the joke this year!

And yes, I thought the same thing about the VIP passes, but it's become apparent that Brett is like a 5 year-old, demanding to see pretty girls in bikinis and demanding to see them now. He rewards that same childish, pushy instinct in the competitors. Someone as classy as Jes (as classy as you can get on a show like this) would never survive this season. She'd have been booted in the first episode for refusing to dance on the stripper pole. It's just sickmaking. I keep telling myself "at least I'm not watching that trashy Scott Baio show" but really, I know the truth. How can I even claim to have taste anymore? The upshot is this: Amanda and I recommended season 1 and will continue to do so. We cannot be responsible for this travesty.

And yeah, Daisy? What is WRONG with her face? She looks like a mannequin that got its rubber lips stuck in a pool drain. It FREAKS me out!