Wednesday, January 14, 2009

And the beef goes on...

I'm making a habit out of watching people attempt to eat three pounds of beef. It never gets old.

Over the Christmas break, I returned to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, this time with Amanda, her sister Jess, Jess' husband Kevin, her cousin Travis, and Mama and Papa Beyer. We had three burger challengers that night. Amanda and Kevin went for the two-pounder and Travis, in a fit of either hubris or insanity, took on the formidable three-pounder. (Kristen, look away!)



Things started off well (don't they always?) and Kevin was really going strong at first. I thought he was going to power through in no time. Then, as he started to slow down, Amanda hit her stride. She halved her burger lengthwise, putting one part with the top bun and one with the bottom bun. Holding half the burger, it was now only the size of two Whoppers stacked on top of each other, and therefore much more manageable. Travis noticed this was helping her and he decided to follow her lead.

This would prove to be his undoing.

The three pound burger is a different beast. The three pound burger, when halved, just looks more sinister than before. Instead of a burger the size of a robust newborn, Travis now sat in front of several piles of beef that seemed to multiply before our very eyes. It was like the miracle of the loaves and the fishes in a Clearfield bar. I nibbled my fried pickles in horror. Travis later claimed, "breaking the burger apart broke me psychologically," and he ended the evening hunched over his take-out container.



In the end, no one completed the burger challenge, but I still have hope that I'll see it happen one day. So let me know if you want to head to Clearfield to take on this:



Kristen! Keep looking away!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Ahhhh! My eyes!

Amanda said...

Ugh. I still can't stomach the looks of those pictures.

Travis is in training. He intends to go back this summer to try his hand (or stomach, I guess I should say) at the two pounder!