Friday, April 17, 2009

Birthday madness begins!

Today is Melis’ birthday. I’m not going to say which birthday because if you’re a family member, you already know, and if you’re, like, one of her students or something, I’m not spilling the beans. Anyway, she looks many, many years younger than she is, so it matters not. Also, she sometimes acts like a twelve-year-old, like when she jumps out at me and causes me to shriek in horror like a little girl. Maturity!

So, when the Stombaugh girls have a birthday we get to choose a birthday meal; anything we want. (FYI, my standard is roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and white stuffing with onions. Next week, it will miraculously appear before me and I will be so happy. Jen pointed out that Uncle Jimmy and I are the only ones who eat stuffing with onions, which made Jimmy and I look at each other in wild-eyed delight in anticipation of how stuffed we’re going to be.) Melis’ birthday meal is happening tomorrow because she and Brian went to the fabulous seafood buffet at Seven Springs tonight. She chose lasagna for her meal tomorrow. I was kind of wishing/counting on her choosing grape leaves, but whatever, it’s not my birthday. In order to not impede Mom and Jen with the oven tomorrow, I made Melis’ cake tonight. Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting – everything made from scratch. Yum city. It’s kinda my signature cake. Take a look:

Mixing the batter:




Into the oven...


The frosting. It's called buttercream for a reason.




I will frost it tomorrow because we're watching a Thin Man movie tonight. Love!

Happy Birthday, Melis.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Stuffing....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Stuffing with onions...even better.

Amanda said...

It all sounds so delicious! And I am quite impressed with the food blog! :o)