Friday, April 24, 2009

My day of fun in pictures

I had a day off today so I planned a day of fun in Pittsbugh. I started out in the Strip District where I saw some sexy hats.


There was also an amusing sign about growing older, which made me realize that I will soon be at a point where I've been driving for half my life.




I went to the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company, which is like Conzatti's on steroids.



They have pretty Italian sweets...




...a magificent selection of olive oils...




...and an olive bar that would make you weep.



I ended up here, the original Primanti's.



My usual: the steak and cheese, #2 best seller. They never do tell you what the #1 best seller is...




I'm not even going to comment on the time elapse between this photo and the one before. It's appalling.



After the Strip, I headed to the shops in Shadyside. The Shadyside Curiosity Shop is wonderfully colorful. I bought an old fashioned slide puzzle. I also went to a thrift shop and found a great old faux bamboo end table. It looks hideous now, but wait till it meets up with some high-gloss white spray paint. It's gonna be fabulous.


Next I headed to one of my favorite places in the world!



Ikea is more than a store, it's an experience. Because you may be spending hours there, they have a cafe. I had never eaten there before, but this time I was a little hungry, so I thought I'd try some Swedish meatballs. What can I say? This was a mistake. They are not great, but they're better than the mac and cheese, which was just dismal. The guy covered everything with gravy, and that terrifying pile of red stuff on the edge is lingonberries, which is like Swedish cranberries. It all went in the trash. I suppose not everything about Blue Wonderland can be perfect, and the imperfection is the heinous food. But the soda was great. Their carbonation levels are perfect. I drank that right up.



After my meal misfire at Ikea, I went to a place where I knew I could get something tasty. I want to be buried in a pile of Chipotle vegetarian burritos so I can eat my way out. And the employees there are so nice, they'd call the police for you if you were to lock your keys in your trunk. And the North Fayette Police Department is really awesome at helping people out of jams like that. Or so I've heard.



Next stop: Station Square and a ride up the Mon Incline...



...to end up here, the second most beautiful place in America. Interestingly enough, I'll be seeing the most beautiful place in June.





This evening was perfection. It was nice and warm, and there was a light breeze blowing.






I had so much fun, and now I'm off to bed to dream of my birthday meal tomorrow.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You locked your keys in your trunk? LOL Not surprising.... Glad to know you haven't changed!

I wish I could have been there on your day of fun in Pittsburgh! But being on the phone with you during some of it was enough to make me feel included :o)

Maybe you'll have the day/night off when I fly up in July and we can do it again!

Kristen said...

Swedish chocolate is pretty delicious at IKEA. Mmmmmm, vegetarian burritos......

Ali said...

True, the chocolate is tasty. And so are some of the funky European cookies ("buscuits") they sell.

No, Amanda, some things never change. And what's worse is, every time I put something in my trunk that day I thought to myself, "It would totally suck to lock my keys in the trunk today. And then, when I shut the trunk at Chipotle, I got one last fleeting glance of my keys just as the trunk lid came slamming down on them. I just stood there muttering to myself, "I cannot believe I did that."

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a perfect birthday weekend. You so deserve it.

Ali said...

Thank you, sweetie.

Amanda said...

Did you buy a sexy hat? ;o)

Ali said...

I was tempted, but I don't think I could have carried it off.