Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I can be an environmentalist, if there's something in it for me.

Today is Earth Day. I know this because I went to Google and there was one of those cute little drawings there in place of the normal Google logo. I am not an environmentalist. I mean, I don’t wish harm upon the environment, but I am a documented destroyer of planets. Basically, I am selfish and lazy and I just don’t give much thought to my earth-ruinous habits. I’m not proud of this, but there it is.

But! There is hope! If being environmentally friendly can also be fun and cute and helpful AND satisfy my enjoyment of shopping for online goodies? I’m totally on-board. Behold, the Rume reusable grocery bags. I bought six of these last year at Delight.com, one of my favorite shopping websites, and everywhere I go I get compliments on how smart and lovely they are. I mean, how much better would your wretched trip to WalMart be if it ended with someone telling you how fabulous your bags were? And even better, each bag holds more than twice the amount of a WalMart bag AND you can sling them over your shoulder, resulting in fewer trips from the car to the house lugging in groceries or books or whatever crap you’ve been buying because you shop way too much. And until I can afford that chauffeur/personal valet to cart my stuff for me, these will have to do.


I got the two Spring in New York sets, but the Fall in New York are lovely, as are the red ones they brought out for Christmas. The gorgeous new metallic bags should only be used if you are uber-fabulous and can carry them off.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Ooo, I have a bag sort of like that -- brown with flowers and it folds up into a tiny little case-like thing. I just keep it in my purse all the time so it's always handy. I have some canvas bags from Trader Joe's, but they don't have cool patterns or fold up all nice and small, so where's the fun in that? I also have one of those ginormous IKEA bags, but it's a little big for groceries!