Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First cake

I decorated my first cake in cake class today. I also learned crumb coating (or "dirty icing" as Buddy Valastro would say), how to make my icing glassy smooth, how to make a shell border, and how to freehand letters. Lots of info tonight, which is good because last week we pretty much learned how to put an icing tip on a bag coupler. Anyway here it is:



It's not fabulous, but I'm pleased with it for a first attempt.

I wanted to try to write on a cake so I just picked something. My teacher asked what I was writing and I said, "Oh, just a saying from my favorite musical." Suddenly I heard a chorus of, "Wicked!" "Ooh, Wicked!" "I love Wicked!"

Apparently Wicked, like Troy Polamalu on the field, is everywhere.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Nice! I'm impressed with the neat handwriting. Not that I think you would do a sloppy job. But mine would definitely come out looking like a 5-year-old wrote it.

Ali said...

Thanks! Now I'm going to drive Jen nuts by taking it to the house and loading Jules up with sugar. We're doing cupcakes next week, so there should be some there when you guys arrive.

Liz said...

ooh! I was going to ask if you actually had class this time :) very cute.

When do you learn roses?

Ali said...

Hopefully this week, but if not it will be next week. I'm excited for that, but I hear they're hard.