Friday, February 18, 2011

Holy. Cow.

These people are brilliant.

I love Apartment Therapy’s Small Cool Contest, in which people who live in tiny spaces photograph their apartments and show how they’re able to stylishly decorate and live comfortably in very little space. I also love the idea of multi-use furniture and how in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries it was common to change rooms around on a regular basis depending on their use. People would fold up a side table and move it against the wall so their parlor went from a game room to a dancing space. I love the idea of being clever about your space and getting the most out of it. So when I found this video, I watched it with my mouth hanging open.

This furniture is so cleverly designed. I especially love how the shelves and desks stay parallel to the floor so you don’t have to empty them when flipping down your murphy bed. Genius!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Incredible. Almost makes you want to buy a teeny tiny cottage just so you are forced to buy this ingenious furniture.

Ali said...

I know, right! The Dashwoods should have had this for their little cottage at Sir John Middleton's place.

Jimmy Jam said...

like it...but it won't fit in my dream house....http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Ali said...

I love looking at those tiny houses and reading about how people make such a small space work, but I know in my heart I could never live in one. Even if I could get rid of all my crafty stuff and books, the bathroom is still the dealbreaker.

Ali said...

This is a sweet bathroom in a small space. And Airstreams are so cool.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/architecture/before-after-airstream-trailer-renovation-by-hofmann-architecture-professional-project-138829

Jimmy Jam said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlwAU9WR9w&feature=player_embedded

at 1:40 is the largest tumbleweed I have seen.There are building plans for larger...so your workable bathroom could be there.



I thought meh about the pictures on that site on teh airstream. ...but then I found this link.

http://www.hofarc.com/category/portfolio/projects/airstream/

wow hot dog. Check that mounting on that iMac.

Ali said...

I've seen that large Tumbleweed on Apartment Therapy, gorgeously decorated. That one seems doable, but that little one with the stained glass window seems like you've decided to live in a treehouse, which, whatever. Also, $50,000 seems ridiculous for something that small. Are they including the price of the land in that figure? Doubtful. I'm sure the plans aren't cheap, but still.

Jackie was way ahead of the curve on this.