Thursday, April 3, 2008

The twists and turns of Memory Lane

Does anyone remember Hostess Pudding Pies? They were just like their fruit pies, but filled with pudding instead. I loved them when I was a kid, but I hadn’t seen them for years. Then I walked into Sheetz the other day and there they were, wedged in between the Ho-Hos and the Ding Dongs: Hostess Pudding Pies!


I was so excited to see them, I exclaimed, “Holy crap! Are you serious?” right out loud, which earned me a few of those strange looks that I am so accustomed to receiving. So of course I had to buy one. When I got home, I gingerly tore open the crinkly paper and smelled the pie shell. Memories of childhood came rushing back.


With anticipation, I broke the pie apart to reveal the familiar sight of smooth chocolate pudding inside.


I took the first magnificent bite and... nearly gagged on how sweet the thing was. (Wrrrrrrkkkk! The needle comes off the record!) Can I just say, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the nation has been thrown into a sugar shortage since production of these things started up again. I imagine we’ll soon be rationing like during WWII. I took a second bite, because I am stubborn and clearly insane, and I had to spit it out.

The sad truth is some things are better left in your childhood. Orange drink, Spaghetti-Os, The Love Boat. These are all better enjoyed through hazy reminiscences than up close. (Trust me, Gopher was not that cute.) The Hostess Pudding Pie is no different. It ages about as well as a beach party movie. You’re better off with a Debbie Cake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was only away from my computer for four days and I see that I missed so much!

Jimmy Jam said...

All I want to say is Horror at party Beach is one of my all time fav movies......and Have you tried pixie sticks again? mmmmmmmmm...sugar induced coma.....