Friday, November 14, 2008

Survey question: Tipping at carside pick-up

Hey all, give me your opinion (I know you're dying to). I, the Take-out Queen, sometimes order things at Applebee's and pick it up at the Carside To Go spot. If you're not familiar with it, here's how it works: You call, you order your Caesar salad and side of mashed potatoes (which you plan to mix together when you get home - yum), you tell them the make and color of your car, you pull into one of the designated parking spots, and your food is brought out to you like at a '50s diner, sans the roller skates.

So far, I have not been tipping the person who brings me my food. I figure they didn't wait on me during my meal, and they didn't use gas and time to drive to my house with the food. I don't tip the person who hands me my burger at a drive-thru or even the person who brings me my cherry limeade at a Sonic, yet I'm wondering if I am expected to tip the Carside To Go person. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say no, for the same reasons you just mentioned. They did nothing more than if you would've went through a Burger Drive thru.

Linda said...

No girls. Err on the side of decency at all times. How would you like to be treated? S/he comes out in the weather to your car and delivers your food, much like a pizza boy (who does have his gas paid for by the restaurant) and s/he is probably being paid third world wages since the manager knows customers will tip her. You may tip her less than20% if you like, but if you don't want to eat her saliva next time I say tip away!!!

Ali said...

I don't know about that. I've never gotten food there in inclement weather, and it only take 30 seconds to bring it out, but perhaps you are right. I know food service employees do make dismal wages.

One thing, though, Linda: many pizza delivery guys do not get their gas paid for by the restaurant. Caleb told me once that his delivery tips were awful and that he had to pay for his own gas. Ever since then, I've been a very generous tipper to delivery people.

Liz said...

I make people work for their tips. A tip is not their right, it is a "thank you for the nice service", if indeed nice service has been rendered. Sense this person has done nothing but walk out the door two feet I would not even consider it.