Monday, November 17, 2008

"We should just be thankful for being together. I think that's what they mean by 'Thanksgiving,' Charlie Brown."

Not to be a downer, but this has easily been the worst year of my life. I will always look back on 2008 with sadness. However, it’s November, so I feel like I have to take stock of all the lovely things in my life that make me thankful. And you know what? The list is quite long. What are you thankful for? Here, in no particular order (so I can't be accused of valuing peanut butter above my family), are some of mine:

The smell of my parents' house when my mom is making a big pot of spaghetti sauce.

Living in a place with gorgeous autumn foliage.

Not being born into a small family.

D'Arc's pizza and homemade rolls.

My beautiful niece who makes me so happy.

Living near the Westwood Plaza movie theater.

That Jane Austen decided to pick up a pen and write.

That Ethan and Joel Coen decided to make movies.

That Joss Whedon decided to make TV shows.

My D40.

An apartment with big windows, high ceilings, and hardwood floors.

Friendships dating back to junior high and elementary school.

Picking out a Christmas tree with my dad.

God's sovereignty and mercy.

Messing up the peanut butter.

The plethora of food delivery people within a 3-mile radius of my apartment.

My iPod, a constant companion.

Conzatti's almond biscotti.

Challenge Sodoku on Facebook.

Ending up in a family with people I'd want to be around even if we weren't related.

Ikea shelves that let me indulge my need for uber-organization.

Pushing Daisies. (Please don't cancel it, ABC!)

Martha Stewart craft supplies.

A brand new Burt's Bees peppermint chapstick with a nice, smooth top.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am thankful for my frienships, my family, and the ocean!

Linda said...

I agree with almost all of yours but I must add a few.

That Donna Tart decided to write.

That I live so near Via Veneto that I can almost smell the cheesesteaks being made.

That I have a husband who will buy me a pizza 4 days out of seven and still consider it his conked meal for the day.

That I have so many of my family willing to visit me at my home.

That I have a niece who is not ashamed to tell people she is related to me and that she likes, not just loves me.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Linda, I'm surprised that you of all people did not mention the strawberry mousse cake from Country Delight.

I would also like to add Olivia's delightful personality.

Ali said...

We're all thankful for Olivia's delightful personality.

And that cake.

Linda said...

You know Megs, if I start to mention all the foods I'm addicted to, well...beside the cake I will add my favorites: spaghetti, turkey, mashed potatoes, chocolate anything, peanut butter cheesecake, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin cake, pumpkin muffins (you get my drift).

And I defy anyone to love Olivia's personality more than I do!!! (parents and grandparents excepted)