Tuesday, February 2, 2010

And so it begins...


The Oscar nominees were announced today. I have had this on my calendar for a long time, the way you might mark off a birthday or trip. This is serious stuff.


There weren't many surprises. I'm am most pleased that Jeremy Renner got a nomination for his excellent work in The Hurt Locker. The whole film rested on his shoulders and if he hadn't give such a nuanced performance, he'd have taken the whole film down with him. I've enjoyed his work for a long time now, and I'm happy he's getting some recognition.

I'm also happy for Carey Mulligan. The world at large only now seems to be discovering her, but those of us who live and breathe Masterpiece Theatre are all like, "Duh. She's awesome and has been for a long time."


Despite the inclusion of ten Best Picture noms, the awards themselves don't seems to hold many questions. I feel like all the acting categories are forgone conclusions (Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, Christoph Waltz, Mo'Nique) and even Best Picture seems pretty firmly in Avatar's hands (although I'd love to see The Hurt Locker or Inglourious Basterds slip in there, as I am convinced they were both far superior films). But none of that really matters because I'm so psyched that Oscar season has begun and I can immerse myself in movie watching (or at least have an excuse for it.)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yay for Jeremy Renner and Christoph Waltz! I also love Jeff "Dude" Bridges but I still need to see Crazy Heart. Feel free to make an Oscar-ready trip here.